Friday, May 09, 2008

"Lifting up of the mind to God"

From Prayer by Philip Yancey.

"I am learning the difference between saying prayers, which is an activity, and praying, which is a soul attitude, a "lifting up of the mind to God." Praying in that sense can transform every task, from shoveling snow to defragmenting a computer's hard disk."

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances.

Let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise.

...always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.

"I used to read such passages in a fog of guilt, imagining saints who prayed through the night, building up calluses on their knees. I read them differently now, not as a perpetual guilt-trip but as a call to a Godward orientation. Prayer means keeping company with God who is already present. My very concern about the people and issues I pray for actually manifests God's presence within me. I need not jump up and down like a child, shouting, "Look at me!" God is close by, if only I tune in."

Love this, love this...... Cool!

No comments: