Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Dancing naked





Well, I found this little gem today while reading "The Barbarian Way" by McManus, a small unassuming book with some really good analogies of living life abandoned to Christ. Interestingly enough, it has a reference to 2 Samuel 6:21-22: "I will celebrate before the Lord, I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes." The study of these books in the Bible are turning out to be very cool. This was the unwavering answer of David to his wife Michal, when she rebuked him for his outward display of worship before God. He was naked and dancing before the Lord. Ok....so maybe we aren't to all go running around naked....but McManus suggests that we need to find the courage and freedom to be ourselves. We need to let ourselves become the unique individuals that God created us to be. Stop worrying about what everyone else thinks....in and out of the "church".
That thought thrills my soul!
I would add that Jesus is the courage and freedom within me. McManus also says that civilized people measure one another by their robes and signet rings....barbarians measure only heart and actions. They live naked before God and men, and not pretending they are something they are not.

Oh to be a barbarian!

picture from www.okaypants.com

No comments: