Friday, February 23, 2007

Yet Again....Manning




In Brennan Manning's Book, "The Signature of Jesus", he talks of a friend, who was a member of the small community of brothers that they referred to as "the Little Brothers of Jesus". His description of this man Dominique Voillaume, and how Manning talked of the influence Vollaume had on his life was precious to me. A true brother in Christ and mentor by example. The following quote comes as the last entry from the journal of this humble man (found after his death) ....through Manning's book.

"Dominique Voillaume never tried to impress anybody, never wondered if his life was useful or his witness meaningful. He never felt he had to do something great for God...."

.....the last journal entry.....

"All that is not the love of God has no meaning for me. I can truthfully say that I have no interest in anything but the love of God which is in Christ Jesus. If God wants it to, my life will be useful through my word and witness. If he wants it to, my life will bear fruit through my prayers and sacrifices. But the usefulness of my life is his concern, not mine. It would be indecent of me to worry about that."

Manning says then....
"Any spirituality that does not lead from a self-centered to an other-centered mode of existence is bankrupt."


Read the account.....if you never have.


In Jesus and also Dominique's words...."Father, forgive them, ils ne comprennent pas."

How Manning is used by God to convey a hard message full of Truth to others but through a tender manner......amazes me.

No comments: