Monday, April 16, 2007

Musings on a Monday

I met with walkingchurch yesterday morning, and during our short (?) walk through the woods, I was able to share and be shared with by a sister in Christ about this Life we live that is Christ. About the incredible Love that He has for each one of us. A real blessing. A real joy for me. I love to connect with the Church in this manner even though it is difficult at times to do just this. It is so much easier in a lot of ways to go to my 'church', or the 'church' that my daughter's attend. Easier in a lot of ways....arranging everyone's schedule, and not having to have that alarm set so early :). I don't have to connect there, I don't have to open myself up at all, I can just listen ... be entertained.... be numb at times..... just go ..... and then go back home. Easy. But, I am having a harder time doing this of late. I want the more, so desperately.

I am reading a book, called The Indwelling Life of Christ, by Major W. Ian Thomas, about how, "....there are so many things that can detract us from the sheer simplicity which is in Christ, the centrality of a Person, the Lord Jesus Himself, in residence within our redeemed humanity..." In 2 Corinthians 11:3, Paul speaks to us who know Christ, about this very thing. This is the one thing. In everything we go through in this life..... this is the thing. I love to read these books that are written by God's Children, eternal Truth by Saints of eternity.

Sharing this first couple of paragraph's of the introduction.
"To be entirely honest, I know of nothing quite so boring as Christianity without Christ.
Countless people have stopped going to a place of worship simply because they are sick of going through the motions of a dead religion. They are tired of trying to start a car on an empty tank. What a pity that there are not more people around to show them that Jesus Christ is alive.
I know of nothing so utterly exciting as being a Christian, sharing the very Life of Jesus Christ on earth right here and now, being caught up with Him into the relentless, invincible purposes of the almighty God, and having available to us all the limitless resources of Deity for accomplishing those purposes.
Can you imagine anything more exciting than that?"

The Major apparently has been sharing this message for at least 60 years and more, because I believe this was referenced a few years ago. The man was born in 1914. This Life, that is in Christ, and He in us.....not a new concept by any means. Look at Madame Guyon (1600's)!! Look at T. Austin Sparks (1888-1971). So many more of the great writers to read. Look at Paul's writings in the New Testament!! Talk to the Lord, He will reveal His Truth to you. It is a joy-filled and a blessed Life. Not always happy...in fact much sadness can fill this life and you can FEEL unblessed, but the Truth be told, written about, spoken about and revealed by Him, alone.....It is joy, pure joy filled with His perfect love for each one of us hearing with open hearts. Meeting my like or unliked minded brothers and sisters in Christ has been wonderful and it thrills my soul. Maybe the thrill is seeing Jesus, Alive and so multi-faceted in the lives of those who know Him.
As the Major summarizes Jesus' prayer to His Father in John 17:21-23 as: The world will know and the world will believe that You, the Father, have sent Me when My followers are in Us as I am in Thee, Father, and I am in them as Thou art in Me!"
"He ends his book, .... The indwelling Life of Christ - that is the truth that sets us free!"

No comments: