Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Ramblings of a Ragamuffin

So today, I have been looking at the work of Ray Stedman on the Gospel of John and if you haven't checked out his thoughts or writings do so. Maybe it is me because this desire to know everything about everything....I know, I know.....I am like a train, constantly chugging along looking for more knowledge....yikes...don't worry though because that is a sin.... :) I spend time waiting on the Lord to reveal what He would to me as well.
Any whoo... The ladies group I am a part of got into a discussion last night about the beginnings of the New Covenant. The Cross of Calvary changed everything. Everything else before Christ's death and ultimate Resurrection was under the Law. Christ was born under the Law. Any whoo....again, I digress..... I happened upon this book by Stedman and I know I have heard some teaching that refers to this man and his thoughts. ( Frank Friedman).

This quote just blows me away and the fact that my daughter's are facing a chemistry and biology exam emphasized the thoughts on the atom even more and this is like way too cool to pass by.

"This amazing Man, Jesus of Nazareth, in the mystery of His being, was not only a human being here on earth. He was, John tells us, the One who created the universe at the beginning. He understands it. He knows how it functions. He directs, guards, and guides the creation to this day. He keeps it going and holds it in existence."

"I have always been fascinated by the great linear accelerator that runs out toward the mountains behind Stanford University. I have often thought about the immense energies which power that great scientific instrument as I have driven up Highway 280 between Palo Alto and San Francisco. This linear accelerator is, loosely speaking, a great “atom-smasher.” Using enormous voltages of electrical energy, the accelerator moves particles along a long tunnel, increasing the speed of the particles until they approach the speed of light. These high-speed particles smash into a target--the nucleus of an atom--at the far end of the tunnel."

"The energies used to smash these atoms are measured in “mega-electron volts” and “giga-electron volts”--that is, in millions and billions of volts! Why does it take so much power to break apart an atom so that its component particles can he studied? Science has asked that question for decades, and the answer is still unknown. All that is known is that there is a force that scientists do not yet understand which holds all things together."

"The apostle Paul tells us in Colossians what that force is: “In him [Jesus] all things hold together.” (Col. 1:17) The book of Hebrews says, “The Son is . . . the exact representation of [God's] being, sustaining all things by His powerful word.” (Hebrews 1:3) And John says, “Through him [Jesus] all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.” The world around you, the book you hold in your hands, and your very body itself are all held together by His word and His power."

No comments: