Friday, September 08, 2006

The Unloved Lover

by Madame Guyon

My heart is easy, and my burden light;
I smile, though sad, when God is in my sight.
The more my woes in secret I deplore,
I taste thy goodness, and I love thee more.

There, while a solemn stillness reigns around,
Faith, love, and hope, within my soul abound;
And while the world suppose me lost in care,
The joys of angels unperceived I share.

Thy creatures wrong thee, O thou Sovereign Good!
Thou art not loved, because not understood,
This grieves me most, that vain pursuits beguile
Ungrateful men, regardless of thy smile.

Frail beauty and false honor are adored;
While Thee they scorn, and trifle with thy word;
Pass, unconcern'd, a Savior's sorrows by,
And hunt their ruin with a zeal to die.



Jeanne Guyon's earliest poem known was written when she was nineteen.....nineteen! Imprisoned and banished....she knew the Savior intimately throughout the circumstances of her life.....and her poems are a reflection of her relationship with Him throughout her life. She is a woman who I admire and yet it is Christ who lived His life through her so completely as she abandoned her self and her cares to Him. What a joy and a passion she has for Him. It sustained her and she was truly a woman with a remarkable and wondrous God in her.

No comments: